Before I even show you the block of wood that reveals how embarrassingly high maintenance I am, let me assure you that my nightstand is never this neat. Normally all the items you see here are strewn all over the place, but for aesthetic purposes, I tidied up for this post.
|Without flash for nighttime-esque lighting|
|With flash so you can properly see all this stuff|
The Boring Essentials:
- Contact solution: For those awful times I go to sleep with my contacts in and then wake up with my parched eyes basically glued shut.
- iPhone: My alarm clock, my flashlight, my life.
- Hair ties
The Beauty Items:
- Bliss Super Sized Lemon + Sage Body Butter: This is the second of the two tubes I bought at that ridiculous Nordstrom Rack sale, and my favorite cream for cracked, dry feet.
- The Body Shop Sea Island Cotton Mist Spray: Totally excessive, but I love spritzing this on my sheets to mimic that delicious just-laundered scent.
- Vaseline: I don't actually know why this is here considering I never use it. But Vaseline is practically mandatory for a nightstand, so I'll leave it.
- The Body Shop Peppermint Foot Spray: Perfect for summer! After a long day, no matter what shoes you're wearing, nothing cools off tired feet quite like this stuff. Plus, if you fan your feet after spraying, you get a delightfully tingly effect.
- The Body Shop Passion Fruit Body Butter: I think every Body Shop product I own lives on my nightstand. I don't really need two body butters side-by-side, but some nights I want a fruity cream and in any case, the Bliss one is almost empty.
- Laura Mercier Creme de Pistache Hand Cream: This has been on my blog a few times now. Adore the scent, but quality-wise, the cream is just okay. But being the best-smelling hand cream I own earned this tube its place on my bedside table.
- Ped Egg: Yes, I own one. And yes, it works.
- C.O. Bigelow My Favorite Night Balm: One of the reasons this is my favorite is that it's super-thick, but not to the point where I'd need to goop up a finger to apply it.
- Fresh Sugar Lip Treatment: Hey, sometimes I want a stick balm and not a gel/creamy one. This was a freebie from Sephora and has to stay indoors as it melts in the heat.
- Colgate Wisps: I do brush my teeth. But everyone has those too-lazy, too-tired, too-drunk nights, and there's no better place for these guys to be.
- JasmineSeven Fresh Feet Wipes: I like to wipe over my feet before applying the body butter. I don't use these to actually clean off sandals-in-Manhattan dirt (that type of grime requires a thorough wash at the tub), but just to make sure my feet are spanking clean before cream/bed.
The Highbrow/Lowbrow Reading Material:
- Magazines: I find that I only read (is read really the right verb here?) these in bed. Nice way to turn off your brain before hitting the sheets.
- Comfort Books: The juvenile but comfortingly familiar and beloved books that I re-read on nights I can't sleep. These tend to change as a lot of books fit that category, but at the moment it's Jean Webster's Daddy Long-Legs and S.E. Hinton's The Outsiders.
- More Intellectual Books I'm Currently Reading: Obviously this changes as well, but for right now it's The Complete Stories of Truman Capote and Love in the Time of Cholera by Gabriel Garcia Marquez (which for some reason is taking me forever to finish).
I'm sure you could do a whole case study on what you learn about someone based off what they have on their bedside table.
Some of you might conclude that I'm a high-maintenance book lover with slightly gross feet.
Which sounds about right!