But I swear these two polishes were made to be together. When I came across Provence, I knew right away that it would be a perfect complement to Lillibet's Jubilee. They both share that cool, lilacy base, but obviously have very different finishes--Provence being a cream and L.J a straight-up foil. But I actually think "ring finger" polish is more interesting and more of a statement if the color on that nail is different in texture and not just in shade.
It's actually through Provence that I've discovered the secret to wearing cool-toned, pale nail polish if you have yellowy skin. I tend to avoid pastel nail colors since they make me look jaundice, but here's the trick: there has to be some gray in the color. Essie's Lilacism is similar to Provence, but it's a little more wholly purple, whereas the latter can read a little gray. Kind of like that extra bit of salt in a chocolate or caramel, that smidge of gray tones completely transforms the nail polish and makes it a lot more wearable on warm, yellow skin tones. Lilacism looked very grape-y and unflattering on me to the point where it almost made my hands look dirty, but I don't have any of those problems with Provence. I don't believe a cool, pale nail polish has ever flattered me this much before!
|Match made in heaven!|
Updates/Random 2 a.m thoughts!
- I have had it up to here with all the 50 Shades of Grey hype--it's absolutely inescapable, and literally every beauty/fashion website I peruse mentions it in any article they can. It's one thing to enjoy the guilty pleasure books, but I don't need magazines to stick it in any piece possible to gain some readership. Already this week I've seen 50 Shades of Grey inspired clothing, makeup, and an infinite number of articles on which actor/actress should play the characters. Enough already!
Though personally, I see Alexander Skarsgard as Grey.=)
- It was 99 degrees today. I am ready for fall.
- Decided to devote part of this summer to learning how to cook and successfully made a scallop and mango salad earlier this week! Yes, the majority of the work was ripping up lettuce, but it's a start!
- Seriously, in this unbearable heat, the Garnier Moisture Rescue Gel-Cream is the only moisturizer I can use at night. Nothing worse than waking up to a sticky neck!
- My dermatologist introduced me to a magic body lotion after hearing me complain about my perpetually dry and cracked feet (gorgeous, eh?). I'll need to test it for a bit longer, but from what I can tell so far it definitely deserves a post of its own!
- I've gotten into the bad habit of not wearing sunscreen on the back of my hands. To help cure myself, I googled images of Madonna's 35-year-old face and 60-year-old hands. Habit kicked!
- Haven't done a face mask (clay or sheet) in almost two months now. There's no particular reason why (apart from sheer laziness), but apparently my face has decided to punish me for it. It's cystic acne and splotchiness galore!
- Almost got in a fight with a girl in my Literary Theory class when she said the Pride and Prejudice with Keira Knightley and Matthew McFadden is the best. B*tch, please.
And on that note, I think I'll watch some Colin Firth interviews before I go to sleep.
No better way to guarantee pleasant dreams!
Have a fabulous weekend!